Propane Safety for Your Home
Protecting Your Home and Family
PitStop Fuels is a locally owned and operated propane provider. We’ve been serving our neighbors for around 35 years, and part of that service is making sure that our propane delivery, tank installation and service, and propane equipment installation and service are done safely and properly.
We also want you to know about propane safety so that you can protect yourself, your loved ones and your property.
What Should You Do if You Smell Gas?
Propane gas has a distinctive odor added to it, which is usually described as smelling like rotten eggs. The following directions are essential to protecting lives and property and need to be followed right away if you smell that rotten-egg odor of gas.
- Get everyone out of the house or area IMMEDIATELY
- Extinguish any sources of ignition like open flames, candles or cigarettes
- Don’t use any thermostats, appliances, telephones or electric switches until you are safely away
- If you can safely access the gas shutoff valve on the propane tank or cylinder, turn it off
- Wait until you are safely clear of the area where you smelled gas and then use your mobile phone or a neighbor’s phone to call 911 or PitStop Fuels
- Stay away and don’t return or try to turn on the propane supply valve, even if you don’t smell gas anymore. Give emergency personnel or qualified propane service technicians time to check for escaped propane gas
- Have the leak prepared by a trained propane service technician. They or emergency personnel need to confirm that the problem has been safely resolved before you can return
- The propane service technician needs to carefully inspect all of the gas appliances and relight all of their pilots
- Don’t try to go back to the area until emergency personnel or the propane service technician says you can
The Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) has created the below learning modules to help you learn about consumer safety and propane. Click on the modules to review the topics and other important information.