Latest information about our service during the coronavirus outbreak. Click here.

How To Use Propane To Save Money This Winter

propane appliances maine

Save money and stay comfy!

Summer is coming to an end here in southern Maine and Mainers like you are getting ready for both a crisp fall and the cold of winter ahead.

Speaking of cold, this winter is forecast to be colder than normal, with more snow than usual. While that’s great for the ski areas, it means your home’s heating system will be put to heavy use this winter.

If you’re worried about the cost of keeping your home warm and comfortable, propane can help with that! Propane is a workhorse when it comes to efficiency and comfort. And with the dependable propane delivery and equipment services from PitStop Fuels, you have peace of mind that your home will stay warm and comfortable all winter long.

Home heating

Propane furnaces and boilers can reach efficiency ratings well into the high 90s. That’s better than any other fuel source! Manufacturers of electric heat pumps may claim their efficiencies are just as high, but that doesn’t take into account the fact that heat pumps engage a supplemental (and much less efficient) backup heat source once temperatures drop below freezing. In a cold climate like ours, that can make a big, and bad, difference in your electric bills.

Water heating

A propane water heater can deliver that hot water at about half the cost of an electric water heater. And if you have a propane tankless water heater, those costs go down even further.

Fireplaces and hearths

While wood fires may look great, they’re wicked inefficient. Only about 20% of the heat generated by a wood fire goes towards warming your room. The rest goes up the chimney. propane fireplaces and hearths, on the other hand, can operate at more than 80 percent efficiency. Not only are they great for high efficiency, money-saving supplemental heating, they can be used for heating during a power outage, too.

Space heating

You may have some spaces in your home that are unheated, or insufficiently heated, like sunporches and home additions. With a propane space heater, you can efficiently warm those spaces when you need them without having to turn up the heat in the rest of the house.

Clothes drying

A propane clothes dryer gets your laundry dry faster than an electric clothes dryer, saving on energy costs. Propane clothes dryers also create less static cling, cause less wear on your clothes, and create fewer wrinkles so you don’t have to use as much electricity for ironing!

Cooking

Propane ranges, ovens, and cooktops cost much less to operate than their electric counterparts. They also give you better results thanks to precise, instant temperature control. And, unlike electric appliances, they’ll work during a power outage.

Count on PitStop Fuels for your propane delivery this season – and beyond! If you’re looking for PitStop Fuels in Cumberland County or PitStop Fuels in York County, you’re in luck! We offer delivery of heating oil, kerosene and propane, as well as installation, service and repairs of home heating and home comfort equipment. Check our searchable ZIP Code database to see if PitStop Fuels serves your community!